VT FOOD BANK:
Number of volunteers needed: 5
Date & Time: 8am -12 pm (December 7, 2013)
Location: Barre, VT
Activity:“Sort-a-thons” – Volunteers may sort, re-pack or build CSFP boxes in the warehouse, or even help prepare occasional mailings. Volunteers must be 14 or 15 years old and accompanied by an adult, or 16 years and older to work in the warehouse.
HUNGER FREE VERMONT PROJECT:
Volunteers are needed to conduct a literature review on December 7th from 9 am to 3 pm for Hunger Free Vermont, an organization dedicated to providing local communities with the tools and education needed to create sustainable food programs that ensure access to nutritious food for all Vermont children. Please bring your own laptops for the literature review! Some examples of the questions that Hunger Free Vermont would like us to research include:
- Does Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) participation reduce hunger and/or poverty?
- Does SNAP participation improve nutrition and/or health?
- What is the most efficacious means of providing nutrition education to change diet to improve health?
- Does participation in school breakfast or lunch reduce obesity? Improve nutrition? Improve health?
- Does providing meals in child care settings (rather than having parents send in meals) improve children’s diets? Health?
- Does participation in summer feeding programs reduce obesity? Improve academic performance?
Agenda for the Day:
9:00 – 10:00 or 10:30 am – Presentation on the extent, effects, and solutions to hunger in Vermont with breakfast provided
10:00 – 12:00: research 1 or 2 questions
12:00 – 1:00 lunch break on your own
1:00 – 3:00: Summarize findings and create slides
This should be a fun and fulfilling day. Hope you can join!
NORTHWEST FAMILY FOODS: